15 Night Northern Cape, Wine Route & Cape Town – Self Drive
The Northern Cape offers something unique, with nature reserves abound and game, birdlife, unusual vegetation as well as the magic of the spring flowers during August and September
RATE ON REQUEST
Valid: 1 May – 31 August 2020
- 1N in Upington at the Upington Manor Guest House or similar, with breakfast
- 13 Day Group M (Ford Ecosport) Car rental, pick up at Upington Airport & Collected at CPT Hotel
- 2N Xaus Lodge in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park on full board basis, activities & return transfers to the picnic spot where vehicles are parked. (Excludes Park entrance fees – Aprox R356 pp pd)
- 1N African Vineyard Guest House at Kanoneiland with breakfast
- 2N close to Augrabies at the Tutwa Desert Lodge on full board basis
- 2N close to Garies at the Agama Tented Camp on half board basis
- 2N in Clanwiliam at the Yellow Aloe Guest House with breakfast
- 2N in Franschhoek at the Auberge Clermont with breakfast
- 3N in Cape Town at the Winchester Mansions Hotel with breakfast & Tourism Levy
- 48Hr Hop on-Hop off Sightseeing Tour
- Hotel to Airport transfer
Day 1: Upington
Fly into Upington and collect your Europcar Group M (Ford Ecosport).
Overnight at Upington Manor Guesthouse. B
Day 2 & 3: Upington – Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (4 h 20 min) FB
Where the red dunes and scrub fade into infinity and herds of gemsbok, springbok, eland and blue wildebeest follow the seasons, where imposing camel thorn trees provide shade for huge black-mane lions and vantage points for leopard and many raptors… this is the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.
Pronounced ‘kaus’, the Xaus Lodge is a place to experience a unique desert environment, providing accommodation in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park for eco-tourists and visitors to this wilderness area in the Kalahari. A unique living space, highlights of the lodge include a cosy lounge with a fireplace, an art and craft shop, a large observation deck perfect for stargazing, a refreshing swimming pool and a heart- warming fire in the boma, perfect for enjoying the beauty of the silence of the night while keeping warm.
Day 4: Kgalagadi NP – Kanoneiland (4hrs 49min)
Kanoneiland is a beautiful settlement situated in the Northern Cape in South Africa. What makes this settlement stand out from the rest is that it is situated on the largest inland island in the gorgeous Orange River Valley. It is, in fact, the biggest river settlement in the country.
African Vineyard Guest House combines magical ingredients to create an unforgettable farm stay experience that includes free Wi-Fi. The ambience, food, treatments, personalised service and modern accommodation combine to deliver country hospitality at its best.
Day 5 & 6: Augrabies Northern Cape (1hr 58min)
The Augrabies Falls National Park offers an ancient landscape that will take you back in time to the world of the first hunter-gatherers. On the menu of plant species is the enigmatic Quiver tree or Kokerboom. Traditionally, the Khoisan hunters made their quivers from this tree which dates back thousands of years.
– Walk to the Waterfall viewpoints along a wooden walkway, with a restaurant nearby.
– Game viewing at leisure using your own vehicle to view Klipspringer, Giraffe, Gemsbok, Springbok, and the smaller animals like the Dassie, Chacma Baboon and Vervet monkey.
– Several panoramic viewpoints can be visited inside the park, all of which give stunning vistas of the park, the gorge and the Orange River. These points also provide great opportunities to spot local birdlife. The roads are in a very good condition and easy to navigate.
In the heart of the barren Green Kalahari lies an oasis of tranquil luxury. Tutwa Desert Lodge is a serene sanctuary on an unblemished tract between the Green Kalahari and the mighty Orange River. As a Tutwa guest you enjoy the pleasure of a unique private wilderness safari over 16 000ha of land. Boasting 24km of Orange River frontage, Tutwa is a source of life and bounty in a wild, ancient desert. This rewarding wilderness encounter features safari drives, nature paddles, birding and interactive conservation experiences.
Day 7 & 8: Augrabies – Garies (3hrs 45min)
A world away from the lush, safari-visited jungles and plains of Africa, Namaqualand. Agama Tented Camp invites you to experience this drought-ravaged wilderness both in and out its world-renowned floral season.
The bush camp is based 20km north of Garies and accommodates 14 people. The comfortable tented accommodation all has their own private bathrooms and spacious decks from where you can absorb this relatively unexplored part of the country. Whether it is an early morning drive, sundowners with breathtaking views, a hike or huddled around a fire in the Kookskerm (Boma), Agama Tented Camp will touch all your senses and offer you an unforgettable experience.
Day 9 & 10: Garies – Clanwilliam (2hrs 43 min)
– Enjoy the beauty and unique character of the Cedarberg, a 100km long mountain range known for its characteristic jagged sandstone, as well as its curious rock formations and Bushmen (san) rock art.
– Clanwilliam is the Rooibos capital of the world, where you can visit the factory, learn about the history of Rooibos tea production and the process while sipping on a cup of Rooibos tea.
– The Old Goal Museum to learn about the history of Clanwilliam.
– The Ramskop Wildflower Garden with over 350 species of cultivated wild flowers is a highlight of Clanwilliam in the spring.
– Cederberg Brewery, a microbrewery based at Cederberg Private Cellar on Dwarsrivier Farm in the heart of the pristine and unpolluted Cederberg Conservation Area.
– South Africa’s most uniquely situated wine farm falls within the pristine environs of the Cederberg Wilderness Area, which lies in the Cape Floral Kingdom. Here, among spectacular rock formations and fynbos, you will find the highest altitude vineyards in the Cape.
Day 11 & 12: Clanwilliam – Franschhoek (2hrs 49min)
Enjoy breathtaking scenery, warm hospitality, gourmet cuisine, fine wines, art, and a small village atmosphere. These are the hallmarks of the picturesque Franschhoek Wine Valley, situated in the heart of the Cape Winelands.
A Franschhoek Wine & Food Route Map is available.
Day 13, 14 & 15: – Franschhoek – Cape Town (1hr 24min)
Europcar rental will be collected from your hotel.
Enjoy a 48Hr Hop on-Hop off Bus tour.
City Sightseeing Tour
With over 30 stops, taking you to over 50 of Cape Town’s top attractions, the bus allows you to hop-on and hop-off at your leisure.